Egyptian Qatayef, A Fried Dessert Dumpling Recipe
Author: Romana Sharmin
Recipe type: Dessert
A traditional Egyptian and Arabic dessert that is elegant and fancy to look at and tastes super good. The kids love it too. It may look a bit complicated but following few steps one can easily make it.
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 (8 oz) container ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ (.25 oz) packets dry yeast
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups oil for frying
- Start by making the syrup: In a pan, combine the water with sugar. Add the lemon juice to it and stir continuously.
- Once the mixture gets thickened, take off the heat and let it cool.
- Now for the filling, combine cornstarch and ricotta cheese into a bowl and mix well.
- To make the dough, combine the flour with the yeast.
- Pour water to it gradually, keep whisking. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 hour or so.
- In a pan, heat the oil and pour the batter 2 oz at a time.
- It would form a round shape, brown them slightly at the bottom.
- No need to flip it, take off the heat and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Put the filling in the centre of each tortilla and fold the edges.
- In another skillet, heat the oil and fry the qatayef brown in batches.
- Pour the syrup on top and serve immediately.